Thursday, August 7, 2008

The First Day of School

The first day of school didn't go so well. Garrett was really excited to start and I tried to walk him through what would happen, even though I wasn't all that sure myself. (FYI: Garrett is my tender hearted little guy. He doesn't like new things or change)

So we get to the school and he goes to play with no problems.
Great...he's going to be fine.
Then the teacher asked them to line up...he asks me to go with him, but he's still participating. They stand in line and I can tell he is starting to freak out. The class walks to the room and well he is crying.
I walk him to his desk and he is officially freaking out, throwing a fit and holding onto my leg.
I tried to just walk out, but the teacher tells me to take him outside and that he can come in when he calms down....
I'm thinking, if I knew what to do, he would already be in his seat like all of the other kids...and isn't this kindergarten, why is my kid the only one having a hard time....
so I walk outside to a paparazzi of parents all looking at me with my kid wrapped around my leg.
The parents drift off while I stand in the hallway, trying to do anything to convince Garrett to go into class.
Meanwhile my 2 year old is mad because I won't hold him, now also crying.
Finally, Magically, by the Grace of God Garrett decides he will go into class instead of facing all of the threats that I have now threatened him with.
So I watch through the door as he quietly walks to his desk and sits down. After about a minute he was participating and all is well....

So today is another day and I fully prepped Garrett to go into class without screaming his head off.
We walked through it over and over.
I promised him ice cream if he would go in happy.

Today he played, lined up and went into class like a big boy. I love him so much and I know that it was really hard for him to go in without me today.....but thank Heaven he did.

I'm looking forward to my little treat this afternoon.!!



12 comments:

Stacey said...

Poor guy. I am so glad his 2nd day was better. Enjoy the ice cream!

Pocketful of Posh Boutique said...

I hope it gets better next year. My second grader still does it. She's a momma's girl.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to another phase of motherhood. Now you know one of the reasons it is so hard to send them to school. It's as hard on them as it is on us. You did a fine job. The ice cream celebration is for you also. Love ya
mom

Anonymous said...

I agree with your mom. Welcome to another phase of motherhood. I'm very lucky all my children went cheerfully into class.I have been the one always with tears in my eyes for leaving my babies there. I hope you enjoyed your ice cream and that he will have a good day tomorrow. Kristin

raising4boys said...

That breaks my heart. Makes it so much harder for the mom when they go to school upset. I remember making threats to my son to stay at school. Lets just say I ended up selling his Nintendo64 and learned to be careful next time to choose a more appropriate consequence.

Hope each day gets easier :)

Vidal's Nest said...

I always feel so bad when they cry on the first day of school. Sounds like you handled it well!

Bekki said...

I'm glad he had a better second day- I really hare kindergarten- It's like the beginning of the end...

Jenifer said...

So hard to grow up. Our first day was great, second day sucked. SIGH! Does it get easier to be a mother?

Webb Family said...

I love your new blog design-very cute!
I feel for you that would so hard.
I'm happy that things went smoother for you the next day.

Owen said...

He is TOO cute! I love that "paparazzi of parent" comment!! You are hilarious! Hopefully he will be just fine now and hope you got some good ice cream out of the whole deal!

uniquelynat said...

well it sounds like you handled it well! i think i would have given up and taken mine home & locked her in her room until I calmed down!!! :) i guess we'll never know how she would do since i get to homeschool....

Kirsten said...

Ashlee starts school on the 20th but Brynlee (Kindergarten) doesn't start until the 25th. Ashlee has started to say she's a little nervous for second grade. I think it's because she just found out her two best friends are in the same class as each other but she isn't...how sad! Brynlee seems to be alright now but I can see something similar to Garrett's experience happening with her! Of course I'll be sobbing with a full load of tears if she shows the smallest sign of being nervous...I'm such a boob!